Deciding to re-side your home is a big decision that can prompt many questions. Here are some common questions and answers to help demystify the process:
What questions should I ask when looking for the right siding contractor?
Choosing the right contractor for the job is critical so don’t be afraid to ask questions. Some important questions to ask include:
- How long have you been in the siding business?
- What materials do you have experience installing?
- What warranties do you offer on your materials and installation?
- Can you show me proof of insurance?
- Can you provide me with a list of references?
- What does your payment schedule look like?
- How long will it take to side my house?
- What is the scope of work for my siding project?
- How does the permitting process work?
What should I do to prepare for siding installation?
Trim any greenery from around the base of your home so it’s not in the way for contractors and doesn’t get trampled by foot traffic and ladders. Also, play it safe and remove anything breakable from the interior walls of your home. While it’s unlikely, in some cases the interior walls rattle enough for pictures and items on shelving to fall and break.
What types of siding options do I have? (What is the expected lifespan for each type of siding and what kind of maintenance do each require?)
There are many options when it comes to choosing siding for your home but the most popular siding materials are:
- Vinyl: The only maintenance vinyl siding requires is soap and a hose. It has a lifespan of 20-40 years.
- Wood: Wood siding requires a periodic coat of paint or stain but with proper upkeep, can last as long as vinyl siding.
- Fiber cement: Just like it sounds, fiber cement is made from a combination of wood fibers and cement and is an increasingly popular option. It requires only a periodic coat of paint, has a lifespan of ___ – ___ years and is currently installed in 15% of new construction homes.
- Steel: Steel siding is highly durable, long-lasting and can be installed in a variety of colors. You can expect steel to last ____ years or more!
- LP SmartSide: Delivering the warmth and beauty of traditional wood with the durability of engineered wood, this product can be installed very quickly and gives you maximum protection against the elements for years to come.
How long will it take to side my home?
While the timeframe can vary depending on the surface area of your home and soffits, windows and doors to side around, siding a home generally takes a full-time crew 1-2 weeks.
What kind of ROI can I expect on new siding?
When it comes to adding equity to your home, exterior projects such as new siding should be at the top of your list. Your ROI can range anywhere from 75-85% for the most popular siding products on the market! Few other home improvements rival this investment.
Call us at 612-212-4965 to discuss your 2020 siding project and get on our calendar!